Monday, September 20, 2010

assignment on social media

Today many TV shows and advertisements try to look amateurish or "homegrown" to emulate what is often seen on the Web. Do you think professional production values will continue to drop, or do you think amateur user-generated content will get better over time? WHY??

 I think that professional production value will you eventually drop but certain pictures will always end up being high budget. A prime example of this can be seen this year there have been many large budget productions but they have had extremely varied results. Inception which was a huge production and many years in the making is being held as a huge contender for best picture. Avatar although visually stunning is being labeled as nothing more then a stunt for the eyes. Having worked at a movie theater for a couple of years I know how people have been responding to the prices of 3d movies and it's not pretty. At the end of the day productions are going to need to scale back and make movies more affordable for the working class. that said the production value of movies has been so high it's hard to imagine them scaling back so much. That said if movies with lower production values continue to make progress as they have been it could be a huge boost for the movie industry. I am not talking exactly about blair witch project stylized movies but more along the lines of movies like juno which are shot on lower budgets. while this is not exactly what the question is addressing it is not as far from it as it may seem. user-generated content is getting better with higher production value as time goes on. I do not think that it will be long before youtube movies become a highly regarded artistic format. After all this is the film style which micheal gondry based the be kind rewind style of film on. All this said I believe high level productions will decrease but there will always be a few and they will often be academy award winning productions. that said there will be years where the lower budget films will get academy recognition.


What social media sites do you find yourself using the most, and why? In your opinion why is Facebook so much more successful than MySpace, and do you think Facebook is "here to stay" for the long term.

The only social media site I use is Facebook. personally Facebook has the same appeal that microsoft had after windows 98, everyone uses it. I'm not sure it is here to stay but I imagine it will always hold a spot for a lot of people wether it is the popular social media of the time or not. There are a lot of reasons facebook is more succesful then myspace but I'll stick to the reason that I chose facebook over myspace. I made my myspace account in ninth grade when i was a very different person. and also my ex girl friend knew my pass word and made it so i couldn't use my myspace any more. I'm sure that isn't the reason why the majority of people made the switch but that's my story.


Why is transparency such an important concept in the Social Media world? Is it MORE or LESS important in the offline world? Why?

transperency is a huge deal in society and social media. I get a phone call from my mom weekly about something me or one of my friends posted on facebook and the bottom line is in the future culture will have to adapt to becoming more open to what people are willing to express. not for nothing this has been an ongoing trend in U.S. supreme court tradition for the last few decades. it is more important offline and will continue to be for a while. technology has given people a unique oppurtunity to do things less face to face. In person we are often on gaurd and hiding alternate motives. when we are in contact through text, im, facebook, phone, or video chat there is a level of disconnection which makes people free of such social restraints. eventually society may catch up to technology as those who study the social sciences suggest, but for now transparency is far more important offline.

No comments:

Post a Comment